1. What position the Jaguars need most right now? Don't go shouting out names of NFL prospects but give me the position you think the Jaguars will need to improve from the terrible season we have had this year. QB, WR, DE, CB, OL???
You can't compete for a title in this league unless you have a legitimate franchise quarterback. We don't know whether the Jaguars have one of those. We do know that the talent at wide receiver is nowhere near good enough so I'd say that's the most glaring need. Defensive end and cornerback are two premium positions where the team lacks playmakers as well.
2. If you were GM what are a handful of free agents you would bring in for a look?
It's difficult to "build" a team through free agency if you aren't drafting well, so if I were GM I think my team would be drafting better. Inheriting this group my top targets would be Saints OG Carl Nicks, Texans DE Mario Williams, Eagles WR DeSean Jackson, Bills WR Steve Johnson, Lions DE Cliff Avril and Titans CB Cortland Finnegan. I'm assuming that guys like Dwayne Bowe, Wes Welker and Drew Brees are not available.
3. Stevie Johnson, Wes Welker, Vincent Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, Brandon Lloyd, Robert Meachem, Mario Manningham, & Philly's Steve Smith & Desean Jackson are all unrestricted free agents for next year. We all know Wes Welker isnt going anywhere, but is there any chance that the Jags grab at least 1 of these players... assuming only about half will actually make it to free agency??
I would think that wide receiver will be a point of emphasis both in free agency and in the draft, no matter who the quarterback is next year. I would think the Jaguars would lean on the younger guys at the position like Johnson, Jackson (both) and possible Meachem. Like everything else in life it will come down to cost and you can expect Vincent Jackson to get huge dollars.
4. Charlie, what is the Jaguars draft pick(s) situation this year. I know we traded some picks to move up and select Jane Gabbert, did we give away any of our '12 picks?
I believe the Jaguars will have their full allotment of selections with the exception of the undisclosed pick they gave up for Dwight Lowery, probably a late sixth or seventh round selection. I wouldn't expect any compensatory selections either considering all of the free agent acquisitions.
5. Charlie, whats your take on Eben Britton? What chance is there he comes back from back surgery? Do you think he showed signs of ever becoming a quality right tackle?
I know Jaguars fans don't want to hear this but Eben Britton hasn't shown me any reason to think he can be an effective right tackle or play well at any other position on the line. Back problems are a killer for offensive linemen and he's likely not going to be any better. If you remember when he was "healthy," he was beat out by Guy Whimper.
Charlie Bernstein is the NFL Insider for ESPNFlorida.com and ESPN 1080 and 1040 in Orlando/Tampa and Editor-in-Chief of Sports Media Interactive, covering the National Football League, NCAA, and National Basketball Association. Charlie covers the Jacksonville Jaguars for FoxSports and has been featured on the NFL Network and Sirius NFL Radio. Charlie is also a member of the Pro Football Writers of America. You can follow Charlie on Twitter @nflcharlie
The new rookie salary scale makes it possible for teams to move away from potential draft mistakes…