The Jaguars will have to travel to Cincinnati this weekend in what is one of those no-satisfaction…
Final Preview: Jaguars at Lions
Sunday, November 9, 2008, 1:00 p.m.
Ford Field, Detroit, MI
Records: Jacksonville 3-5, Detroit 0-8
Series history: Jaguars lead, 2-1. Last meeting Jaguars won 23-17 (OT) in Jacksonville in 2004.
Five most important things for the Jaguars:
1. Get started early. The Jaguars need to come out with early energy and get the Detroit crowd thinking number one draft pick, not win number one. The Jags were flat as can be early on last week and they dug too deep of a hole to get out of.
2. Cover Calvin. He's their best playmaker and he must be accounted for on every snap.
3. Stop the run. It's been a while since the Jaguars did that effectively, and with Detroit having QB issues, they will likely try to lean on the run with Kevin Smith and Rudi Johnson.
4. Play in front of the sticks. When the Jaguars offense has 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and more than 10, they are almost completely ineffective. If the offense doesn't take sacks and avoids holding penalties, they will be okay.
5. Make plays on defense. Dropped interceptions and offsides penalties have killed the Jaguars in recent weeks. It is likely that whoever plays QB for Detroit will throw the Jags secondary some passes, they need to catch them.
What to look for:
1. Look for the Jags offense to get back on track. If it doesn't happen Sunday, it's probably not going to happen this year. The Lions have a terrible defense and the Jags must take advantage and be dominant.
2. Matt Jones for 6. Either Jones will score a touchdown or get six or more receptions.
3. Calvin Johnson for 6. Same thing for one of the best WR's in the game.
4. Fred Taylor to have a big day. Taylor has had a disappointing season thus far and with Barry Sanders being honored at halftime, look for Fred to be extra motivated.
5. Look for the Jags to force three turnovers. New quarterback, young team, bad team. That should equal turnovers.
JagsInsider.com Recommended Stories
Week 8: Game Time Decisions
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Rob Warner posts his big-name players to watch as they heal at the last minute before the games begin on Sunday. Philadelphia Eagles RB Darren Sproles (pictured…Read More
NFL Week 8: Previews and Predictions
Highly opinionated previews of every game. Are you ready for some insider info?Read More
BOMBS AWAY: ISIS BEFORE AND AFTER AIRSTRIKE
Photographer Bulent Kilic captured these amazing images of ISIS members who were on the very wrong end of an allied bombing in Turkey.Read More
TBT: Pumpkin Carving With A Handgun
While many hunters are focused on pursuing big game in late October, it’s also time to make sure you’re ready for Halloween, and specifically trick-or-treaters. In this throwback Thursday video,…Read More
Watch: Sailfish Goes Psycho!
Check out this classic video of Dan Larson battling an acrobatic sailfish on a trip to the world-famous Tropic Star Lodge in Panama.Read More