David Garrard (Phil Coale/AP)
Tonight marks the Jaguars first (and only) scrimmage open to the public. With just nine days until their first preseason game, there are plenty of questions and plenty to look for.
1. Is David Garrard going to go through his progressions and take some shots downfield? Most of the reports from camp have shown a rusty quarterback. He’s had a week now to work with his receivers, lets see if he can light up the defenses.
2. Tra Thomas vs. Derrick Harvey. The Jaguars wily veteran goes up against last year’s first-round pick.
3. Separation from the WR’s. The team struggled with that all throughout the 2008 season, and a new group of smaller, younger guys could help the situation.
4. Defensive formations. We know that the Jags will be easing into a 3-4, but how much of that will they show tonight?
5. Terrence Knighton vs. Jags interior line. Knighton is the future of the DT position and it will be interesting to see how he does against a very talented Jags line.
6. Derek Cox. The Jaguars seemingly reached in the third round by selecting the young corner from William and Mary. All reports from camp show Cox as the second coming of Rashean Mathis. Let’s see how he does under the lights.
7. Torry Holt. Holt was a shell of himself last year in St. Louis and that led to his release. Does he have anything left in those legs?
8. Zach Miller. Reports from camp show a sixth-round steal. Let’s see if this quarterback to tight end transition will work better than the quarterback to wide receiver transition that the team tried with Matt Jones.
9. Wildcat. It’s all the rage in the NFL, and the Jags have some of their own packages. They will likely feature some of it.
10. Rashad Jennings. Let’s see if the steal of the draft can begin to earn that status, as he’s shown great feet and explosion in camp.
Charlie Bernstein is the Editor-in-Chief of Sports Media Interactive and host of the CB Sports Radio Show on ESPN 1420, covering multiple teams in the National Football League, NCAA, and National Basketball Association. Charlie is a regular syndicated contributor to FoxSports and Sirius NFL Radio, and has been featured on the NFL Network. Charlie is also a member of the Pro Football Writers of America. Feel free to contact him -HERE- with questions or comments.
For more, go to: JagNation.com
Check out the new JagNation App for the iPhone. More information on iTunes or CLICK HERE