The Jaguars certainly should not be considered goners heading into the season, but the team will…
Preseason Preview: Jaguars vs Buccaneers
1. Garrard has to be the best QB on the field. David Garrard looked terrible last Monday, and has looked bad for most of training camp. There will be some egg on the Jaguars faces if Byron Leftwich outperforms Garrard.
2. Stop the run with the 3-4. The Bucs will likely try to run the football to take some of the pressure off their struggling offensive line. If the Jaguars can stop the run successfully as they did Monday night, that will go a long way in proving that they can play 3-4.
3. Get better on special teams. Russ Pernell's special teams coverage units were abysmal on Monday night, and they must play better on Saturday.
4. Cover better. Brian Williams had a nightmarish Monday as he is vying for his starting job opposite Rashean Mathis. Williams played so poorly that rookie Derek Cox likely took an advantage for the starting job without even playing.
5. Commit fewer penalties. The Jags were whistled for 11 penalties for 98 yards on Monday. One performance like that is certainly excusable, but two weeks in a row will be disconcerting.
Players to keep an eye on:
1. Eugene Monroe - Monroe had a really nice game on Monday night, and he could line up across Gaines Adams on Saturday night.
2. Tony Pashos - After a dismal 2008 season and a bad start to 2009, Pashos is playing for his job.
3. Derek Cox - Cox and Brian Williams are battling for a starting job. Lets see who looks better.
4. Terrance Knighton - Knighton was a beast on Monday night against the Dolphins backups. Lets see if he can continue that level of play.
5. Troy Williamson - Williamson was excellent on Monday night, and although that performance was positive, he's still a long ways away from securing a roster spot. Lets see if Williamson can build upon that success.
Check out the new JagNation App for the iPhone. More information on iTunes or CLICK HERE
Charlie Bernstein is the Editor-in-Chief of Sports Media Interactive and host of the CB Sports Radio Show on ESPN 1420, covering multiple teams in the National Football League, NCAA, and National Basketball Association. Charlie is a regular syndicated contributor to FoxSports and Sirius NFL Radio, and has been featured on the NFL Network. Charlie is also a member of the Pro Football Writers of America. Feel free to contact him -HERE- with questions or comments.
For more, go to: JagNation.com
JagsInsider.com Recommended Stories
Spotlight Video: Meet the Future of Football
Updated daily! Check out hundreds of incredible profiles of the country's top football recruits in action. For all you recruiting fanatics, it doesn't get any better than this!Read More
Holiday Gift Guide: 10 Hunting Must-Haves
Selected by the team of experts at North American Hunting Club, this essential gear will ensure that you—or the hunter in your life—will dominate Mother Nature in 2015.Read More
Dakota Meyer on "The Interview" Shutdown
The Seth Rogen and James Franco comedy spawned cyber attacks and bomb threats, leading to Sony's cancellation of its release. Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer says he would have been first in…Read More
Daily Dr. Roto: Waiver Wire Pickups
Every Wednesday, Dr. Roto provides a short list of options to consider off the waiver wire. It's late in the year so you may not want to take such a big risk if you're in a shallow league format;…Read More
JuCo Signing Day - The Timeline
A look at some of the noteable junior college signings today and when they came in...Read More