The Jaguars and Texans probably figured that since they were playing in the state of Texas, they…
Jaguars vs. Texans Game Preview
Sunday, September 27th, 12:00 p.m. (CST)
Kickoff Temperature: Roof closed
Line: Texans by 4
Three most important things for the Jaguars on defense:
1. Don't play scared. The Jaguars secondary is young, but if they are afraid to make mistakes and give too much cushion on the Houston receivers, the Jags will get picked apart like last week.
2. Change up your looks. The Texans offense struggled on opening day against the New York Jets, as Rex Ryan brought blitzes from anywhere and everywhere. The Jaguars don't have the same talent as the Jets on defense, but they can change up their looks to try and confuse Matt Schaub and a patchwork offensive line.
3. Tackle better. Reggie Nelson, we are talking about you. Nelson and the Jags secondary missed too many tackles to count last week, and they must do a better job of wrapping up.
Three most important things for the Jaguars on offense:
1. Run the ball. It's what you do best and it's what they stop least. New York and Tennessee had great success against the Texans on the ground, why can't the Jaguars?
2. No turnovers. Houston has more talent than Jacksonville and the way to win in a tough road environment will be to not turn the ball over. Not even once.
3. Play like your job is on the line. David Garrard has to be better. He's not earning his contract and it's time for him to lead the team to a victory. Houston's secondary has been terrible and this is a great opportunity for the Jags to get their passing game going.
What to look for:
1. Look for Maurice Jones-Drew to get over 100. MJD is one of the best players in the game, and is the Jags best playmaker. He will run the ball and catch it out of the backfield early and often.
2. Look for Schaub to throw for nearly 300. Matt Schaub is coming off a career game and this defense is much worse than the Titans D that he shredded a week ago.
3. Look for the Texans to register at least three sacks. The Jags offensive line isn't that bad, but Garrard tends to run into sacks.
4. Look for Andre Johnson to have a rough day. Jaguars corner Rashean Mathis shadowed Larry Fitzgerald last week, and did a fine job on him. Look for the Texans other wideouts to be more productive than Johnson.
5. Look for a trick play. It could be a fake kick, maybe a halfback option or something else, one of these teams will pull something out of the bag in hopes to get a cheap score.
Sleeper watch: Jarett Dillard, Zac Diles
JagsInsider.com Recommended Stories
Week 8: Super Sleepers
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Jeb Gorham digs in his list of rankings to find the best sleepers for deeper formats. Consider giving these players a chance, but be aware of the risk! Tampa Bay…Read More
Watch: Sailfish Goes Psycho!
Check out this classic video of Dan Larson battling an acrobatic sailfish on a trip to the world-famous Tropic Star Lodge in Panama.Read More
BOMBS AWAY: ISIS BEFORE AND AFTER AIRSTRIKE
Photographer Bulent Kilic captured these amazing images of ISIS members who were on the very wrong end of an allied bombing in Turkey.Read More
TBT: Pumpkin Carving With A Handgun
While many hunters are focused on pursuing big game in late October, it’s also time to make sure you’re ready for Halloween, and specifically trick-or-treaters. In this throwback Thursday video,…Read More
Sullivan weighs seriousness of concussions
John Sullivan has suffered five concussions in his seven-year career, but he doesn’t believe his future is “in doubt.” He weighs the severity of the concussions against the number of them.Read More